Monday, November 10, 2008

Hawks Notch Their Fourth Straight; Toews – One Goal

Boy oh boy, how can you not be excited for this team right now? Almost everything seems to be clicking on all cylinders for the Hawks! They’re scoring…a lot. Their playing better defensively and the goaltending has been very, very solid. Last night was my fourth game at the UC and I find myself looking forward more and more to every game that I am able to attend. (Thank you to United Airlines for getting me back from Boston on time so I could make the game for the anthem…and forget about how terrible ND football is right now).

The game, last night, did not start under the best terms. The Hawks were more or less shorthanded for the first ten minutes of the game and I don’t remember the Flames getting more than a couple good scoring chances. The penalty kill was outstanding last night and helped push our 90.6 PK% to 2nd in the NHL, only behind the Wild’s 92.4 PK%.

As for the offense, they also played tremendous last night. Sometimes teams fall into the habit of making one too many passes and mitigates a really good scoring chance. Last night, however, the Hawks were shooting when they should and making that last pass when they should. Three of the six goals last night were scored, basically, on an empty net. If a Hawks player has an almost completely open net to shoot at, I’m going to go out on a limb and say those shots will result in goals, oh, 99% of the time.

I watched the highlights this morning and could not believe at some of the saves Kiprusoff was forced to make last night. Don’t let the final score fool you because the Hawks could have easily put up ten goals last night if it weren’t for Kiprusoff and some ridiculous saves. I’m sure a lot of people around the NHL will see that Kiprusoff surrendered six goals and think he played bad…but I have to give credit where credit is due.

And finally (and no I didn’t forget), congratulations to Johnny Toews on finally putting the biscuit in the basket last night! I find it fitting after getting robbed a few times earlier in the game, his first goal needed to squeak through a Kiprusoff hole and then barely trickle its way into the back of the net. In the four games I’ve seen at the UC so far this year, the Hawks have scored a combined 21 goals (wow, I’m pretty lucky) and honestly, that was the most excited I’ve been for any of those goals. Granted, I haven’t seen a game winner late in the 3rd period or an OT winner, but still, probably had one of the biggest smiles I’ve had for any goal all year at home. And did anyone else notice how excited Kane was? I think he was the most jubilant guy in the house last night. That’s something you just love to see. (God I hope those two are both wearing Hawks jerseys ten years from now).

And now some quick notes:

-It took Toews just under 736 minutes of play this year to finally tally goal #1.

-The Hawks special teams are right up at the top of the NHL after 13 games. The Hawks PK% is 2nd in the NHL at 90.6% while their PP% is 4th in the NHL at an even 22%.

-The Hawks are 3-0-1 when I am in attendance at the UC (must be all me, right?!).

-Wendesday night, the Hawks will retire #3 to honor the greatest defenseman to wear a Hawks sweater, Pierre Pilote and long time Blackhawk, Keith Magnuson.

No comments: